Monday, September 27, 2010

Turkey Broccoli Bake...

What I ate last week is a Turkey Broccoli Bake.  It's from Health.com  I was in a rush when figuring out what to make and this looked like a great option.  I know, the vegetarian in me is disappointed.  The girl who wants this shirt from Woot! is ecstatic.
Men's XL please.
What I did differently from the recipe:
-Per their suggestion- no butter- I used my Olive Oil mister instead of butter for sauteing the mushrooms and onions. 
-I added garlic. I <3 garlic.
-I used Pam Olive Oil spray for the pan that went into the oven. 
-I wasn't going to buy dry sherry for one recipe so I used some of the Marsala cooking wine I have.
-I used chopped almonds, not sliced almonds, but the crunch is still there and really, they taste the same.  Chopped nuts are expensive!
Thanks to my lovely HEB, I was able to buy an already warm oven roasted turkey breast, and I put some of the skin in for flavoring.  I know buy the breast to be healthy and then still use the skin.  You gotta do, what you gotta do. 

I didn't take pics of everything sitting pretty on the counter.  The reason is I got home last Monday, started cutting the broccoli so that it could boil (made me want an induction oven, but I love my non-stick calphalon contemporary).  Getting that water to boil was a bear.  Fortunately Justin was my sous-chef and he took care it for me while I shredded the turkey by hand. A piece fell by Wookie! and he didn't even take notice at first.  It's the sweet tooth in him. Then with the knowledge that most of the hard work was done we went the gym and when I got home I worked on the topping.  I did some things out of order on this, but I think it still turned out yummy.
 The base of broccoli topped with the shredded turkey.

 The onions, mushrooms, garlic, chicken broth, cream, Parmesan cheese forming deliciousness.

 The deliciousness topped with more Parmesan and the chopped almonds.

Everything all baked and yummy smelling.


To add some carby goodness to go with the whole thing I finally cooked up the remainder of the pasta that I salvaged from my pasta bake lesson on measuring.  Best dollar spent ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment