Tuesday, May 10, 2011

It's getting hot in here...

So last night after busting our butts in the back and front yard, after we both put in full days at work and I did the HEB (grocery store) run and Justin ran by Lowe's for the yard goodies, we finally were ready to cook dinner at about 8:50 p.m.

The menu:
1. Oven Roasted Cauliflower and Brussel Sprout drizzled with Olive Oil and Salt and Pepper
2. Boiled Fingerling Potatoes
3. Little 5 oz bacon wrapped HEB tenderloins

While everything was bubbling/sizzling away, I was going to do my Spanish Rosetta Stone that my mom got me as an early birthday present.  (I knew before, but reiterated my awesome language skills such as- La mujer nada. Translation: The woman swims.)

I got the veggies in the oven and the the water on to boil and am cleaning the potatoes when Justin came into the kitchen and noticed smoke pouring from the 1984 oven. I looked in the little 1984 glass window of the little 1984 oven and noticed flames! 

(Please excuse the fact that there are no pictures of our actual experience as we were working to put out said 1984 oven fire.) 
Photo from: http://cucinadivina.blogspot.com/2010/11/fire-in-hole.html

Somehow this blogger kept her stuff together and snapped a pic, whereas Justin was trying to fan it out while we, both postgrad educated people, were trying to figure out if corn starch or baking powder could be thrown on the baby, yet still totally terrifying, flames.   Our fire looked similar to this but was mostly isolated to the front right corner. 

Turns out when you are cooking with olive oil and heat, you should have a lip on the baking sheet to contain said natural goodness and prevent losing all of your possessions.  Lesson learned and new baking sheets with lips are to be purchased. 

We finished off the veggies in our counter-top convection oven in two batches in little round cake tins that fit in there. Justin showered, and then finished the meat while I cleaned up. 

So when did I master my basic Spanish sentences?  After we ate dinner from about 10:45 pm until 11:30 pm I played worked diligently with Rosetta Stone.  I think the full stomach helped my concentration.  

2 comments:

  1. Glad the oven scare worked out and I hope Justin liked the brussel sprouts. Try the pan saute recipe!!! I want to know how the Rosetta Stone works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know about Rosetta Stone for sure. Justin was gonna eat those brussel sprouts no matter what!

    ReplyDelete